Monday, April 30, 2012

April in Review

I set out this month to post at least five times a week to fulfill one of my New Year's Resolutions,and for the first time this year, I actually did it. (I will [might] finish the first three resolutions!*) And with 27 posts (28 with this one), I exceeded my goal with an average of almost seven a week!

But I didn't do it all by myself.


Many thanks to my guest bloggers. Their posts were certainly the high points of the last month, both in terms of personal enjoyment and in page views.

First, James Harbeck tasted the word ascapartic, giving us an idea not only of what the word means, but how it feels to say it; get a better taste of his work at Sesquiotica. Then Tony Noland gave us his take on how to write things that are funny; the laughs continue at his blog Landless. On the third Thursday, Kory Stamper talked about finding that inner peace that keeps you sane when you're proofreading a dictionary; discover her dictionary doings at harm•less drudg•ery. Last, Jonathon Owen wrote about style guides, style rules, and ignoring them both with style; read more about his linguistic labors at Arrant Pedantry.


April was National Poetry Month, which I hadn't known about when I ordered my original 12 resolutions. That made posting a little bit easier as I waxed poetic about turnips, tennis-ball fuzz, the legal pad, and floorboards (plus an unfortunate poem about urine).

You also got a short story every Friday — about a robot waiter, a turkey, chickens, and dirty carpet — the normal collection of three-word Wednesday idiocy, a look at some of the extraordinary vocabulary from David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, seven lesser-known dystopian novels, and other collections of assorted words and pictures.

I doubt that I will continue blogging at this pace in the future, but all in all it was a fun month for me. I hope you got some enjoyment out of, too.

Now I look to my May resolution: To cross something off my bucket list. If any of you have any great ideas about which to choose and how to do it, I'd love to hear your ideas. (FYI: The tattoo will probably be a 40th birthday present to myself, so that's a couple years off.)

Thanks for reading! And to James, Tony, Kory, and Jonathon, thanks for writing! Onward ho!

* Eventually.
Enhanced by Zemanta