Monday, March 19, 2012

Airigami

Today I happened upon the portmanteau word airigami, air + origami. It's a word artist Larry Moss uses to describe "the fine art of folding air." In this case, the air is encased in latex balloons, large and small.

Larry Moss creates some interesting and astounding things with just a little latex and a lot of air — from large animals and full-length gowns to fairy tale scenes and renditions of famous paintings.
Here's the Mona Lisa, though there's a special place in my heart for the Jackson Pollock reproduction
To a nerd like me, this is just so cool! But it got me wondering what other types of "gami"s might still be available for a struggling artist.

If I were, for example, to fold pictures of Ben Stein into mediocre paper animals, would it be bore-igami?

Or if I carve images into spent apples, would the resultant works be called core-igami?

Or if I twist and squeeze and tie fresh intestines, bladders, and other viscera into the shapes of the animals they came from, would it be gore-igami?

Aah, that's enough. We don't need any more-igami.