Friday, April 30, 2010

edutainment, edutainer

edutainment = education + entertainment
edutainer = educator + entertainer

Edutainment may just be the polar opposite of the infomercial. Instead of trying to sell me something (which I hate) under the guise of giving me information (which I'm okay with), edutainment focuses on giving information (which I'm okay with) under the guise of having fun (which everybody loves). Where infomercials disguise a bad thing with a good one, edutainment disguises a good thing with a better one.

Edutainer isn't used quite as often, but I stumbled on it today in a story about Texas blockheads:
Bill Nye, the harmless children’s edu-tainer known as “The Science Guy,” managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.