Thursday, September 17, 2009

Today's Word: kakistocracy


kakistocracy: Government run by the worst citizens. I'll leave it to you to debate/decide exactly what constitutes "the worst citizens." 

I originally was going to say that I wish I had found this word during the Bush administration, but I don't think that's fair. Even while those in government were tripping over their tongues and vomiting on diplomats, the United States was still better-run than a number of other places I'd never like to visit, much less be a citizen of. Think Somalia, Sudan, Kenya, North Korea, South Africa during Apartheid. I'd take another four years of W over any of those governments. 

I'm worried, though, that if our representatives continue with their squeaky-wheel-gets-the-grease outlook on their constituencies, our de jure democracy could easily become a de facto kakistocracy. Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out this video taken at the recent march on Washington. (I'll post my opinions about these scary idiots on my other blog, Soluble Fish, soon.) 

Someone actually snapped up the domain Kakistocracy.org, though it hasn't been updated for quite some time — if the source code is to be believed, it hasn't been updated since 2003. (Is he still paying for that URL and the web hosting?)