Feel free to make this either fictional or autobiographical. Choose a life-changing instant and write at length about the five seconds before, around, or after it. What does the character think about? What does she remember? What details of his surroundings does he notice? How does she feel physically and emotionally?
Here are some possibilities to get your own creativity going:
- A young man gearing up to propose to his paramour.
- A child working up the courage to jump off the high-dive.
- A first kiss.
- A parent preparing to have "the talk" with a child.
- A teenager coming out to his or her parents.
- A first tattoo.
- A convicted murderer waiting for the switch to be thrown on the electric chair.